Pizza is a beloved food worldwide, but there is something special about Brooklyn-style pizza. This type of pizza is unique and has become synonymous with New York City’s pizza scene. In this article, we’ll explore what makes Brooklyn-style pizza so special and why it’s worth trying.
What is Brooklyn Style Pizza?
Brooklyn-style pizza is a thin-crust pizza that is typically larger than a traditional New York-style pizza. It has a crispy crust that is slightly chewy and has a distinct flavor from the high-quality ingredients used. The pizza is cooked in a high-temperature oven, resulting in a charred, crispy crust that is not too thick, not too thin, and perfectly balanced.
The History of Brooklyn-Style Pizza
Italian immigrants who brought their pizza-making skills to New York City in the late 1800s are responsible for the history of Brooklyn-style pizza. In the early 1900s, Neapolitan pizza was the most common type of pizza in the United States, but as time went on, pizza makers began to experiment with new styles.
Brooklyn-style pizza was born in the 1930s when Patsy Lancieri, a pizza maker in East Harlem, began making larger pizzas with a thin crust. The popularity of this new style of pizza quickly spread to Brooklyn, where many Italian immigrants had settled. Over the years, Brooklyn-style pizza has become a staple of New York City’s pizza scene, and it continues to be a favorite among pizza lovers worldwide.
What Makes Brooklyn-Style Pizza So Special?
Brooklyn-style pizza is made with the freshest, highest-quality ingredients. The dough is made from high-gluten flour, which gives it its distinct texture and flavor. The sauce is made from San Marzano tomatoes, which are known for their sweet and tangy flavor. The cheese used is a blend of mozzarella and Parmesan, which creates a creamy and savory taste.
Another thing that makes Brooklyn-style pizza special is the way it’s cooked. The pizza is cooked in a high-temperature oven, which gives it a charred, crispy crust that is not too thick, not too thin, and perfectly balanced. The toppings are also of the highest quality, with fresh vegetables, meats, and herbs used to create a flavorful and delicious pizza.
- 1 pound high-gluten flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- San Marzano tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and instant yeast. Mix well.
- Add the water and olive oil to the bowl and mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise for at least 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin circle.
- Transfer the dough to a pizza peel or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add the San Marzano tomato sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Add your desired toppings.
- Bake the pizza for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Where to Find the Best Brooklyn-Style Pizza
If you’re looking to try the best Brooklyn-style pizza, you’ll have to head to New York City. There are many pizzerias throughout the city that serve this type of pizza, but some are better than others. Here are a few of the best places to try Brooklyn-style pizza in New York City:
- Di Fara Pizza: This legendary pizzeria in Midwood, Brooklyn, has been serving some of the best pizza in New York City for over 50 years. The pizza is made with fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection in a wood-fired oven.
- Lucali: The locals recognize this pizzeria in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, for its classic Brooklyn-style pizza. The pizza is made with high-quality ingredients, and the restaurant has a cozy, intimate atmosphere.
- Grimaldi’s: This pizzeria in Dumbo, Brooklyn, has been serving some of the best pizza in New York City since 1990. The pizza is made with fresh ingredients and cooked in a coal-fired oven.
Brooklyn-style pizza is a unique and delicious type of pizza that has become synonymous with New York City’s pizza scene. Its crispy crust, high-quality ingredients, and unique flavor make it a must-try for any pizza lover. Whether you’re a native New Yorker or visiting, trying Brooklyn-style pizza is a must. With its crispy crust, premium ingredients, and unforgettable flavor, it’s a unique and delicious addition to the city’s pizza scene. Whether you prefer classic toppings or something more adventurous, Brooklyn-style pizza is sure to satisfy any pizza lover’s cravings.