Whether you’re looking to do a one-off deep clean or need regular cleaning services, it’s important to know how much it costs to clean a house before you make any decisions. In this article, we’ll take a look at the cost of cleaning a house – from hiring a professional to DIY-ing it yourself.
1. Understanding Cleaning Service Costs
Time is a Factor
How much it will cost to clean a house depends on a variety of factors, especially time. Most cleaning services charge an hourly rate, and the longer it takes to clean the house, the more expensive it will be. On average, a cleaning service will charge between $100-$150 for an average sized house that takes three hours to clean.
Areas Needing More Attention
In addition to the size of the house, the cleaning service may also charge a bit more if they are required to clean certain areas of the house that need extra attention, such as the kitchen or bathrooms. This could add an extra hour to the job and another $50 to the cleaning bill.
Debt for Special Equipment
If the cleaning service needs to use any special equipment or supplies, such as carpet cleaners or window washers, the price of the job may increase. The cleaning company will likely bring their own supplies, but may charge an additional fee if they need to rent or borrow specialized equipment.
Type of Cleaning Service
The type of cleaning service requested will also affect the total cost. Standard cleaning jobs are more straight-forward and will typically be less expensive than deep or spring cleaning. Furthermore, recurring cleaning jobs will generally be less expensive than one-time cleanings since the cleaning company will already be familiar with the area.
Lastly, the client may be able to receive discounts or special prices if they are a loyal customer, if they combine services, or take advantage of special offers. For example, many cleaning companies will offer discounts to customers who book several cleanings in advance.
- Time is a factor in calculating cleaning service costs.
- Areas needing extra attention can add to the total cost.
- Additional fees could apply due to the use of special equipment.
- The type of cleaning service will influence the overall price.
- Discounts may be available to the client.
2. Assessing Cleaning Needs
When you’re looking into the cost of cleaning services for your house, it’s important to assess the relevant needs. Before looking into typical prices – remember that the cost will be based on what type of cleaning services you require.
- General Cleaning – Includes general cleaning of all rooms in the house, dusting, vacuuming, mopping, etc. It does not include deep cleaning and/or special services.
- Deep Cleaning – Includes detailed, deep cleaning of everything that would be a part of a general clean, plus a deep clean of all kitchen appliances, bathrooms, ovens, windows and carpet cleaning (if requested).
- Special Cleaning Services – Services such as window-cleaning, oven cleaning, and carpet/upholstery steam cleaning.
It’s important to assess exactly what type of cleaning services you’ll need so that you can get an accurate price. Remember, the price of any cleaning services will depend on the size of the house and the extent of the services required.
Also, be aware of any potential extra costs. For example, if you request to have any furniture moved during the cleaning session, this may incur an extra fee.
3. Calculating cost for House Cleaning
After you have made the decision to hire a house cleaning service, the next step is to calculate the costs. Here are some of the key elements in determining the cost of a house cleaning service:
- Square footage: Size of the home matters. Cleaning larger homes will take longer and cost more.
- Number of rooms: The more rooms in a home, the more time a house cleaning will take.
- Task requested: It can also be necessary to ask whether the cleaning service will do a basic or deep cleaning. Basic cleaning includes dusting, sweeping, and scrubbing surfaces while deep cleaning is a more thorough service requiring vacuuming carpets, scrubbing walls, mopping floors and so on.
- Frequency of service: Will it be a one-time deep cleaning or regular maintenance? Opting for regular maintenance will result in lower prices as well as a cleaner home.
When it is all taken into consideration, the cost of a house cleaning service can vary significantly. Generally, a one-time basic cleaning averages from $100 to $300. A deep-cleaning service, on the other hand, averages $200 to $400, with some professional services charging by the hour.
4. Tips to Secure Affordable Cleaning Services
- Look for deals. Sites such as Groupon offer discounts on certain cleaning services and products. You may also be able to get a better deal if you sign a long-term contract with an established cleaning service.
- Look for other discounts. Some cleaning services offer discounts for military personnel, veterans, seniors, and first-time customers. Be sure to ask about any potential discounts to get the best deal possible.
- Choose the right services. You don’t need the deepest level of cleaning every time. Consider what is most important to you and then tailor your services to meet those needs.
- Go green. Opt for a green cleaning service that uses eco-friendly solutions and products. These services are typically more cost-effective and healthier for your home and family.
- Do some of the work yourself. Consider mopping your floors and vacuuming your carpets yourself. Doing so will reduce the amount of work the cleaning service needs to do and save you money.
- Ask for bulk discounts. Many cleaning services will offer a discount if you hire them for multiple visits. You might even be able to get a better rate if you purchase a package deal for multiple cleaning sessions.
5. Recommended Practices for Finding Reliable Cleaning Services
Finding reliable and affordable cleaning services doesn’t have to be hard. Before committing to a contract, use the following tips to make sure that you get the best bang for your buck.
- Look into customer feedback: Don’t leave feedback out when researching the best company for you. Check online customer reviews and look into local cleaning service providers. This can provide some insight into their quality of service, pricing, and additional fees.
- Ask for estimates: Estimating the costs of what the company provides can help you plan for what services you will need. Don’t be afraid to ask for details such as what types of cleaning supplies you will need and the particulars of the contract.
- Read the fine print: Don’t be afraid to read the fine print of any contract you sign. This will give you insight into any additional costs and services that the company may provide.
- Contact the company: Talk to the customer service team at the cleaning company and get a better sense of what services they offer and how much they cost.
- Compare prices: Finally, compare the prices of several different cleaning services to make sure that you are getting the best deal for your money.
Once you know what to expect, you can choose the cleaning service that best fits both your budget and your needs.
While there are many factors that influence the cost of a professional house cleaning service, it’s still a great option to keep your home looking pristine. With some strategic budgeting and a bit of research, you can find a cleaning service that works for you and your wallet. Now that you know the ins and outs of cleaning service costs, you can kick back and relax – your sparkling home is only a phone call away.