Spinal stiffness is a condition that can impact your quality of life in several ways. For example, it can make it challenging to move around, participate in activities you enjoy, or even sleep properly. In this blog post, we will discuss spinal stiffness’s various causes and symptoms and how you can relieve it.
Causes of Spinal Stiffness
There are a few reasons why someone might experience spinal stiffness. The most common cause is age, as the spine gradually loses its flexibility and elasticity. Other causes can include:
– Injury or trauma to the spine;
– Poor posture;
– Illness or infection in the spine;
The Different Types of Spinal Stretching Exercises
You can do a few different types of spinal stretching exercises to help reduce spinal stiffness and improve your flexibility.
One type of stretch is called the cat-cow. This stretch targets the upper back and hips by bending at the waist and then letting your spine hit the floor, then by lifting your torso back up to the starting position.
Another common stretch is called a child’s pose. To do this stretch, sit with your legs extended straight out in front of you and your arms resting on your legs. (If you have difficulty keeping your balance, place a folded towel beneath your buttock for support.) Inhale as you lift your torso until it’s parallel to the floor, then exhale and relax into the pose. Hold this position for 30 seconds to one minute.
You can also do a quadriceps stretch by lying down with both legs bent in front of you, then reaching behind with one hand and pulling both feet towards your glutes. Keep your neck relaxed and shoulders down during the stretch. Hold this position for 30 seconds to one minute before repeating it on the other side.
Tips on How to Get Rid of Spinal Stiffness
If you’re experiencing spinal stiffness, there are several things you can do to try and improve your condition. First, make sure you’re keeping up with your daily routine. Your spine will become stiffer if you don’t have regular exercises or movement. Second, find a chiropractor who specializes in treating spine issues.
Chiropractic adjustments can help to realign the vertebrae and relieve pain and inflammation. Finally, if all else fails, speak to your doctor about possible treatments like surgery or medication.
How to Do a Spinal Stretching Routine
If you’re experiencing spinal stiffness, doing some stretching routine is essential to help loosen up your back. Here is a crucial spinal stretching exercise that can help:
1. Start sitting or lying down with your spine straight and your heels pressed against your buttocks.
2. Slowly lift one leg towards the ceiling and lower it back down to the ground. Repeat this motion ten times on each side.
3. Next, reach behind you and grab onto your ankle with both hands. Hold for 10 seconds, then release and repeat on the other side.
4. Finally, fold forward from the waist until you feel a stretch in your backside muscles (if possible). Hold for 10 seconds, then slowly stand back up again.
Tips for Increasing the Effectiveness of Your Stretching Routine
You can do a few things to increase your stretching routine’s effectiveness.
1. Make sure you warm up before stretching. Stretching without warming up can cause more injury than necessary.
2. Stretch slowly and gradually throughout the entire stretch. This will help avoid possible injuries and make the stretch more comfortable.
3. Don’t hold your breath when stretching. Exhaling when you stretch can cause increased muscle tension, leading to further injuries.
4. Perform static stretches after active stretches to further boost flexibility and range of motion.
If you’re suffering from spinal stiffness, there are a few things that you can do to ease the pain and restore your mobility. By following these simple tips, you can improve your quality of life and feel more like your old self again. Keep in mind that it will take some time and effort on your part, but with the right approach, eventually, spinal stiffness will be a thing of the past.
Read also: 6 Facts You Should Know About Back Pain